Welcome to The Quantum World!
This course is an introduction to quantum chemistry: the application of quantum theory to atoms, molecules, and materials. You’ll learn about wavefunctions, probability, special notations, and approximations that make quantum mechanics easier to apply. You’ll also learn how to use Python to program quantum-mechanical models of atoms and molecules.
HarvardX has partnered with DataCamp to create assignments in Python that allow students to program directly in a browser-based interface. You will not need to download any special software, but an up-to-date browser is recommended.
This course has serious prerequisites. You will need to be comfortable with college-level chemistry and calculus. Some prior programming experience is also encouraged.
The Quantum World is ideal for:
- Chemistry majors who want extra material alongside an on-campus course
- Chemistry majors at an institution that does not offer quantum chemistry
- Physics or CompSci majors who want to branch out to chemistry
- Graduate students refreshing on quantum mechanics before their qualifying exams
- Professional chemists who want to brush up on their skills