Welcome to Harvard’s collection of world-class online learning opportunities. The Harvard Online Learning portal provides a gateway for the public to access Harvard’s extensive learning content. This site does not host any direct learning content, but rather pulls together and indexes courses and learning materials from professors, centers, schools, libraries, and initiatives across the Harvard campus.
Whether you are a lifelong learner pursuing personal and intellectual interests, a currently enrolled student, or an educator or researcher, we invite you to explore online learning at Harvard.
While nothing can replace the direct, personal interactions of campus-based education, by taking advantage of new technologies and research-based pedagogy we can make teaching and learning better -- both on campus and online.
Moreover, our commitment to equity calls on us to create effective, accessible avenues for people who desire to learn but who may not have an opportunity to obtain a Harvard education.
We are eager to draw the attention, engagement, and commitment of learners throughout the world, providing educational offerings that are unparalleled in breadth, depth, and quality.
Harvard Online Learning Content Providers
The following providers offer courses and content through the Harvard Online Learning portal. Please contact these providers directly with any course-specific questions. If you have a general inquiry about how to use Harvard's Online Learning site, please read the Frequently Asked Questions.
edX: edX is a non-profit online initiative created by founding partners Harvard and MIT, and is the platform that hosts HarvardX courses. edX offers interactive online classes and MOOCs from the world’s best universities, colleges, and organizations on topics including biology, business, chemistry, computer science, economics, finance, electronics, engineering, food and nutrition, history, humanities, law, literature, math, medicine, music, philosophy, physics, science, statistics and more.
Executive Education: Executive education courses are offered through the following schools:
- Harvard Graduate School of Education: Online and on-campus programs for teachers, principals, administrators, and policymakers to explore current education trends and help shape education policy.
- Harvard Kennedy School: For senior executives in the public, private, and nonprofit sectors with a deep commitment to adding public value through their roles.
- Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health: World-class executive and continuing professional education programs for leading individuals and organizations worldwide who are committed to tackling challenges in public health, healthcare, environmental health, and safety.
GetSmarter: GetSmarter is an online education company that has collaborated with HarvardX to present premium online short courses within a high-touch learning model. GetSmarter offers cohort-based learning, small group tutors, and individual performance coaching. Course participants will have access to the HarvardX premier certificate.
HarvardX: HarvardX is a University-wide strategic initiative enabling faculty to create open, online courses for on-campus and global learners and advancing research in the learning sciences. HarvardX offers the best portfolio of liberal arts and sciences courses anywhere.
HarvardX Plus: HarvardXPLUS offers new higher-touch versions of select HarvardX online courses with expanded content, more engagement with faculty and peers, and access to the HarvardXPLUS credential. These are limited enrollment, fee-based courses.
Harvard Extension School: The Harvard Division of Continuing Education offers open-enrollment courses, degrees and certificates, and professional development programs. Choose from an array of subject areas, including leadership and management, liberal arts, information technology, and environmental management.
HBX: HBX, a digital learning initiative powered by the faculty of Harvard Business School, offers online courses through HBX Courses, HBX CORe, and HBX Live.
- HBX Courses is a series of unique online learning programs developed by leading Harvard Business School faculty to help learners gain critical management skills. All HBX Courses feature Harvard Business School's signature case-based teaching methodology.
- HBX CORe provides a primer on the fundamentals of business and is comprised of three courses — Business Analytics, Economics for Managers, and Financial Accounting — which must be taken together. CORe is designed for learners who want to prepare themselves for a business career or for a graduate business school.
- HBX Live is a studio based classroom that enables 60 individuals from different locations around the world to join in a real-time discussion with Harvard Business School faculty.
HMX: HMX online courses from Harvard Medical School feature interactive, self-paced lessons to prepare students at all levels for success in health care and related careers. Led by Harvard Medical School faculty, in collaboration with a team of experts in biomedical visualization and learning science, HMX Fundamentals courses bring foundational medical concepts to life through real-world scenarios and clinical applications, including recorded doctor-patient interactions in Harvard-affiliated hospitals.