What you'll learn
- Understand language development in very young children and the role adults can play in developing language skills
- Understand the importance of stimulating talk and questions
- Learn to promote reading and writing through classroom discussion and debate
- Apply research and best practices in language and literacy skills development to your own work
When it comes to helping children develop robust language skills, talking is essential. Discussion and storytelling builds vocabulary, and children who have bigger vocabularies learn to read more easily and earlier.
Learning to Talk by Talking is an online professional development program for educators and parents. Drawing on the research of HGSE Professor Catherine Snow, one of the world’s leading experts on language and literacy, the workshop provides a developmental approach to language and literacy from birth to the teen years. Participants will explore the latest research and practical strategies for using talk to foster language development at every grade level.
You may also like
- Examine best practices in child and family policies, advocacy, financing, and pathways to scale.