What you'll learn
- Develop clear objectives, goals, strategies, and measures for integrating health, safety, and the environment into the culture of your organization
- Create specific methods for pitching occupational health, safety, and environmental initiatives to organizational decision makers
- Employ listening skills to develop more effective negotiation and conflict-resolution techniques
- Establish measurable expectations for your services by identifying appropriate performance metrics and implementing a performance measurement system for accountability
- Manage time effectively and coach others in this practice
- Identify the best possible course of action and prioritize work that is both urgent and important
Improving environmental health and safety performance within your organization requires an in-depth understanding of management principles and the leadership skills to drive change. You need to be able to build leadership buy-in for health, safety, and environmental initiatives, lead teams effectively, and create strategies for integrating EHS principles into the culture of your organization, including in a crisis.
In particular, the COVID-19 pandemic has called for EHS leaders to take on and delegate many new and non-traditional environmental health and safety duties. From testing methods to disinfect disposable masks using radiation to organizing the collection of PPE from labs to distribute at hospitals, EHS professionals are playing a wide range of roles in responding to the pandemic that call for adept leadership skills.
In this online program, you will develop the management skills needed to improve the EHS function in your organization, while gaining the leadership skills needed to lead teams, make decisions, build stakeholder buy-in, and both generate and sustain change. You will develop skills in the critical areas of leadership and management with the objective of bridging the gap between environmental health and safety technical skills and leadership skills essential for achieving functional excellence.
Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
You may also like
- Learn about the latest evidenced-based medicine and guidelines for diagnosing, treating, and managing the care of patients with...