What you'll learn
- Recognize when it is appropriate to start antimicrobials for a suspected lower respiratory or urinary tract infection in nursing home residents with advanced dementia
- Examine the incidence and outcomes of infections in advanced dementia
- Integrate patient preferences in treatment decisions for infections
- Interpret urinalysis and urine culture results
- Manage asymptomatic bacteriuria
This HMS CME Online course is targeted to primary care and specialty physicians, physician assistants, nurses, and nurse practitioners.
Select the Take Course button to view additional information on the course registration page.
- Management of Infections in Advanced Dementia covers the following four case studies:
- Mrs. Baker—an 90-year-old woman with advanced dementia and lethargy.
- Mrs. White—an 87-year-old woman with advanced dementia, fever, and a new cough.
- Mr. Ross—an 95-year-old man with advanced dementia and fever.
- Mr. Smith—an 98-year-old man with advanced dementia, aspiration, and fever.
Harvard Medical School