What you'll learn
- Explore how modern proven principles of retail development can be combined with the best practices of traditional placemaking, new urbanism and modern shopping center development to create competitive urban commercial centers.
- Provide an overview of electronic realities, the forces that created and that drive them forward, explore how these two worlds can be mutually supportive
- Examine the impact of consumer psychographics and techniques along with the emerging virtual technologies for creating place-based brands.
- Topics covered include: market research, branding, national retailer criteria and site selection principles.
- Participants will learn about parking, streetscape, store planning, signage, tenant mix, merchandising plans, leasing, anchors’ roles and successful new urban planning techniques, design criteria, site planning and developer requirements.
- Also reviewed is the synergy between residential, office, civic and governmental land uses and retailer performance.
At no time in history has retailing—or, more precisely, the act of acquiring goods, services and experiences—been in more transformativetimes. For centuries, the retail experience has evolved to meet the needs of the public. And, from the time of the ancient marketplaces to the emergence of Medieval market towns, to High Streets, to Main Streets, shopping malls and modern- day mixed-use complexes all such commerce was the province of an analog world. In the short time frame of a decade this paradigm, grounded in a reality of touch, smell, temperature, varying light and perspective shared with others in a similar quest has been literally undermined, if not in some quarters attacked and replaced by new electronic realities.
But what will retail shopping look like in the post-Pandemic era, once COVID-19 lockdowns are over and people return to the wild for their shopping experiences? Now in its 25th year, this course illustrates the best practices for retail centers responding to the emerging Post-COVID era and changing lifestyles.
Harvard Graduate School of Design
You may also like
- The Introduction to Nonprofit Accounting and Financial Statements webinars provide a great opportunity to learn the basic...