What you'll learn
- Acquire the ability to articulate the values behind policy design decisions
- Analyze the causes and sub-causes of policy problems and make informed policy recommendations based on analysis
- Evaluate policy solutions for strategic alignment across technical, political, and organizational dynamics
- Develop skills to diagram root causes, map theories of change, and analyze stakeholders of policy decisions
- Develop skills to make policy recommendations
- This course is part of the Public Leadership Credential at Harvard Kennedy School. https://www.hks.harvard.edu/educational-programs/public-leadership-credential
Whether learners work in government, business, nonprofits, activism, entrepreneurship, or community organization, effective leaders are constantly working on policies that address pressing public problems. In Policy Design and Delivery: A Systematic Approach, created by Michael Walton, senior lecturer in public policy at Harvard Kennedy School, in concert with a team of the School’s learning designers, you can acquire the knowledge to analyze, design, and recommend policies to effect change in your community.
Policy is an array of actions designed to create the type of world in which we want to live. In Policy Design and Delivery, leaders from across the world learn to see policymaking as a process of clearly defining a problem and working to understand what policies will help create real change as policies are implemented and scaled. Not all participants need to have a background in policymaking.
This course is part of the Public Leadership Credential from Harvard Kennedy School. Courses are designed for professionals with a bachelors degree and a minimum of five years of experience, and a commitment to the public good. Participation in the program requires proficiency in English and 10 to 12 hours per week dedicated to reading, viewing multimedia materials, participating in group learning activities and discussions with peers, and completing interactive assignments.
Harvard Kennedy School