What you'll learn
- Who explored the Pyramids and how they documented their discoveries
- The cultural and religious significance of the Giza Pyramids, tombs, and temples
- The role of hieroglyphic inscriptions in the tombs at Giza
- An appreciation for Egyptian art of the Old Kingdom, or Pyramid Age
- How digital technologies allow us to visualize ancient monuments in new ways
- What the future holds for our understanding and experience of Giza
Where is Giza? How were the Pyramids built? How did the cemeteries and hundreds of decorated tombs around them develop? What was Giza’s contribution to this first great age of ancient Egyptian civilization, the Old Kingdom?
The Giza Plateau and its cemeteries — including the majestic Pyramids and the Great Sphinx — are stirring examples of ancient Egyptian architecture and culture. They provide windows into ancient Egyptian society, but also contain mysteries waiting to be solved. The Egyptian Pyramids at Giza provide an opportunity to explore the history of archaeology and to learn about some of the modern methods shaping the discipline today.
This introductory course will explore the art, archaeology, and history surrounding the Giza Pyramids. We will learn about Egyptian pharaohs and high officials of the Pyramid Age, follow in the footsteps of the great 20th-century expeditions, and discover how cutting-edge digital tools like 3D-modeling are reshaping the discipline of Egyptology.
Join us on this online journey to ancient Egypt’s most famous archaeological site as we uncover the history and significance of Giza, and use new digital techniques to unravel the mysteries of its ancient tombs and temples.
Harvard Faculty of Arts & Sciences
You may also like
- Understand how the FDA regulates pharmaceuticals and explore debates on prescription drug costs, marketing, and testing.
- Gain critical communication skills in writing and public speaking with this introduction to American political rhetoric.