What you'll learn
- Critically evaluate empirical research
- Identify critical components and potential pitfalls of research designs
- Determine the appropriate research design for a given research question
This HMS CME Online course is targeted to providers and researchers in all areas of health care with the primary goal of providing participants with the tools necessary to be critical consumers of research and (if desired) begin to design their own research.
Select the Take Course button to view additional information on the course registration page.
- Research Methods 101 for the Provider: A Guide to Critical Research Consumption is organized as follows:
Case 1: Vaccine Skepticism
Case 2: I Found It on the Web
Problems with the Cited Journal
Research Tips and Strategies
Case 3: Just DUIt
Pretest, Posttest, and Observation
Conducting an Experiment
Case 4: Gambling with Your Design
More on Sampling
Back to Gambling
Cross-Sectional, Multi-Wave Cross-Sectional and Longitudinal Design
Case 5: Miracle Diet
Types of Effects
Case 6: Worried About Starting Your Own Study?
More on Study Design
Steps in the Study Process
Funding Your Study
Harvard Medical School
You may also like
- Review research studies and advancements in topics including bipolar depression, psychopharmacology, comorbid illnesses, and...