What you'll learn
- Religious/philosophical insights conveyed in Buddhist texts
- How scriptures are interpreted to diverse ends in different historical contexts
- Sensitive appreciation of world religions
Whether you are new to the study of Buddhism or have been studying it or practicing it for years, this course will provide you with the opportunity to become acquainted with a variety of Buddhist teachings while guiding you to think about them, and yourself, in new ways.
Through a combination of carefully selected readings, both scriptural and informational, as well as exposure to various forms of Buddhist practice such as art, devotional acts, and literary works, you will learn how to interpret, reflect upon, and apply the teachings of the Buddha to your own life and deepen your understanding of Buddhism.
Harvard Faculty of Arts & Sciences
You may also like
- Learn how the Manchus conquered the Qing and established the last of the imperial dynasties.
- An overview of modern Chinese history, including the fall of the Qing and the end of imperial China.
- Explore the birth of modern China with a focus on the time between the fall of the Qing and the end of World War II.